Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What is Romance?

To each person this is a different answer. Some people expect romance to be over the top, to some little things matter, and others don't believe it exists. Any girl raised among the Disney Princess movies would probably believe in romance and the wonder of its beauty (I know I do lol). Regardless though romance can be a wonderful and confusing thing.

Romance
noun
1. a novel or other prose narrative depicting heroic or marvelous deeds, pageantry, romantic exploits, etc., usually in a historical or imaginary setting.
2. the colorful world, life, or conditions depicted in such tales.
3. a medieval narrative, originally one in verse and in some Romance dialect, treating of heroic, fantastic, or supernatural events, often in the form of allegory.
4. a baseless, made-up story, usually full of exaggeration or fanciful invention.
5. a romantic spirit, sentiment, emotion, or desire.
 
Its funny how even the definition says it's "made-up". I guess logically it doesn't make sense and to an academic it is just a silly piece of fiction...but what if that romantic spirit is more then that. It very well could be irrational yet it still exists because of a feeling. Romance and love go hand in hand, neither are really definable, though we all try and make our own definitions. They are apart of human nature and our need to connect to people.
 
Romance to me is simple and pure, its not the crazy big things. A boy can, and has, swept me off my feet by talking to me and telling me something personal. Opening up to me is huge as well as being a gentleman. Its not about gifts, dates, or anything huge...its the small kiss on the neck or forehead that shows that you care, the reminder that you have my back, the moments where he holds my hand or hugs me while he looks into my eyes. I can't speak for everyone, but to me that's romance, that's how I get caught up. It's such a funny thing, but so beautiful because in those moments I can soar beyond cloud nine and I never want to come down.
For logic's sake I am gonna try to keep my feet on the ground for a while...Here's Hoping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment